!!!!DISCLAIMER!!!! This site may contain Amazon & other affiliate links.
This means if you click on one of the product recommendation links, this site may receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you and may include exclusive discounts when possible. This helps support this site and allows us to keep making content like this. Thank you for your support!
Buying a used golf cart is a great idea as you are able to save money, but there are some things that you’ll want to consider before making your purchase. They can be found in this article. Remember these points, and you will be well on your way to buying a used golf cart that is good as new.
What should I know about buying a used golf cart?
1. It’s cheaper – Golf carts are expensive. New ones start at $7000 and go up from there. Buying a used golf cart means saving $5-10K or more!
2. The quality is good – Most people think that the quality of the previous owner will degrade the performance of their machine. But this is not true; the quality will be similar or better.
3. The selection is good – It’s pretty common to find used golf carts for sale. If you need to sell your used one, there should be many people who are in the market buying a used golf cart!
4. You may save $1000+ on gas – A golf cart has a range of 10-15 miles per gallon. That means if you’re driving a car that gets 25mpg and it costs $3/gallon, then you’re spending $34-$50 per week just in gas!
5. It can go anywhere – Compared to an automobile, a golf cart can go almost anywhere. Of course, if you live in the middle of nowhere, then there might not be much called to use it off-road.
6. It has a lower center of gravity – The less weight up high on the vehicle, the less likely it is that it will tip over. Also, golf carts are meant to operate on uneven ground and this makes them ideal for rough terrain.
1. It can’t go very fast – A golf cart’s maximum speed is usually 15-25 mph. That isn’t bad for a golf cart, but if you want to drive fast, you’ll have to get something else.
2. It might be hard to find insurance – You may have trouble finding an insurance company that will cover your vehicle. This is because they are often referred to as “golf carts” and aren’t seen as being as safe as a car.
3. It’s illegal to operate on most roads – A golf cart cannot be driven on a public highway. Generally, they can’t be driven on a sidewalk either. If you want to drive your cart in a city or town, you’re going to have to use side streets and parking lots.
4. It takes 10-15 hours to learn how to drive it – Most people think driving a golf cart is as easy as riding a bike, but it isn’t. Those vehicles are made for the road, not off-road.
5. You might spend some money to repair it – Why do you think buying a used golf cart is cheaper? Some owners decide to sell theirs because they don’t have the time to maintain them. Or they probably feel it’s time for them to buy a new one.
What should I look for when buying a used golf cart?
You can’t just pick out a golf cart without inspecting it first. Before putting a down payment on it, you should look over to check for damages and missing parts. These are the things that you should look for:
1. Thousands of hours in use can wear out components, so you will need to look at every part and determine if it’s worth it or not. A new part can cost tens of thousands of dollars, so if you want to save money, then you will be better off with a vehicle that has more hours in use.
2. Always buy a machine that is in good condition. More hours on the golf cart doesn’t mean it isn’t in good shape. However, if you are really concerned, then look for one with the least number of hours possible.
3. Check the engine compression and see how many psi it pulls. This will tell you the overall health of the engine and allow you to determine how much life it has left in it before needing major repairs or rebuilding.
4. Try to find out about all the previous owners and their experience with this golf cart. This will tell you what kind of condition the previous owners kept it in.
5. You should also try to look at previous receipts for regular maintenance and any repairs or upgrades that have been made. This information will let you know how often the vehicle was in use, how well it was maintained, and if it has had any major issues in the past.
6. Inspect the battery for electrolyte levels and charge it fully before starting up the machine. Batteries can be expensive, and they are like little miniature engines themselves, so you want to make sure they’re in good condition before use.
7. Check the tires to make sure they’re in good shape. Worn-out tires can be dangerous and are usually a sign that the vehicle hasn’t been taken care of properly. If they have cracks or leaks, then it might be too expensive to repair them.
8. At this point, you should start it up and take it for a spin around the lot. This will give you an idea of how well it runs compared to how much power the engine is putting out.
If something is out of balance, then you’ll be able to tell right away – but if everything checks out, then you can feel more confident about purchasing this golf cart.
9. Make sure to look at the frame and body as this will give you an idea of how well it was built.
There should be no rust or any signs of corrosion on the body. Rust can happen at any time, even in dry climates, so it’s best to avoid used carts that have any signs of rust or corrosion from previous damage.
10. Weigh the costs against the benefits to determine if this purchase is worth it or not. New golf carts cost anywhere from $1,000-$10,000 for a base model, depending on where you live and what kind you want to get.
For more tips before buying a used golf cart, watch this video:
Buying a used golf cart can be a great way to get into something like this at an affordable price. If you’re willing to take the chance or have the funds to make it happen, then you might be able to get your hands on a great deal.
Just remember that this is an investment that will probably last for years, so try not to go too cheap with the purchase and use this as an opportunity to buy something nice.
You can often find a lot of great deals, especially if you’re buying a used golf cart because of how popular they are in places like Florida and Arizona, where the weather allows people to use them all year round.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is buying a used golf cart in good condition hard to find?
They are not as popular as they used to be, but there are still plenty of places you can look for good deals. You can check online like eBay or Craiglist. But please be careful purchasing items online. Make sure you inspect the item first before giving any form of payment.
2. Is buying a used golf cart a good way to get started if I don’t want a new one?
Yes, if you don’t want to pay the price as what a new one would cost, then this is a great way to get into it. Just make sure that you go through the process of looking at and purchasing one carefully.
If this article answers your questions, read more about golf cart parts in this article.